Homemade pizza sauce: fresh, tasty, and ready in less than 30 minutes!
It really only takes a few good ingredients to make an excellent sauce: crushed tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, red pepper flake, basil, and oregano. I've included the measurements for both dry and fresh herbs. Just remember, if using dry herbs: add them to the sauce at the beginning of the simmering stage. Dry herbs can withstand longer cooking times and actually need the simmering time to bloom their flavors. Fresh herbs are more fragile and need to be added at the very end to preserve the fresh flavor and appearance.
I actually took a little hiatus from making my homemade pizza sauce, until recently. I found a store bought brand that actually tasted pretty close to homemade. It became my favorite sauce until recently when our grocery store stopped carrying it! Of course, that always happens when I find something I really like. It's okay, homemade sauce is always best. Plus, this recipe is easy to make ahead and freezes really well.This recipe makes the equivalent of two jars of the other sauce I was using. I generally use half of this sauce for our pizza and freeze an extra jar for a future use.
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 a large onion, diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped finely
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, or 3 teaspoons of fresh basil
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flake
- 1-28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, or 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a medium size saucepan, heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add finely chopped onions, and saute for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flake and saute for about 1 minutes or until fragrant. Adjust heat to medium/low and add crushed tomatoes. Stir in sugar, basil (if using fresh, add at the very end), salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until slightly thickened.
2. Allow sauce to sit uncovered for 10 minutes to cool slightly before using. Sauce will thicken slightly as it stands. Use immediately for pizza or cool completely and store in jars in refrigerator or freezer.
From Tasteful Cuisine
Need some tips on preserving oregano and other herbs? Now is the time to start harvesting your herbs for winter!